Tuesday, December 9, 2008

images of book







My book concept stemmed from a problem I had when I tried to exhibit my cardboard sculptures.  Previously, I was able to explain the functions that I assigned to them whenever I presented the pieces, but when I displayed them behind glass, my intention was lost.  I decided to attempt to remedy that by making user manuals for three of the sculptures.  These included step-by-step instructions for how to use the machine, a small diagram of the essential parts, my statement, and a fold out large, detailed diagram of it on the back.  After trying several different automatic tracing features in illustrator, I finally gave up and traced over the photographs myself.  By doing so I achieved the clean and detailed line drawings I envisioned.  Though I am happy with overall look of the booklets, I don't think they add enough to the sculptures to be justified.  I handed them out at my faculty critique, and everyone seemed to agree that the diagrams did not redefine the objects enough.  I will continue to work on this piece.

No comments: